with book editing clients
What I Do
I offer developmental editing for novels, short story collections, memoirs, essay collections, and general nonfiction (how-to, self-help, business, etc.). This means that I critique the work with a focus on storytelling technique, meaning, and structure, with an eye toward revision.
I can also be a Book Doctor for your book, combining my editing expertise with some ghostwriting to help you take your manuscript from first draft to final draft.
What I Don't Do
I don't copyedit or proofread. Developmental editing focuses on the Big Picture (not spelling and grammar).
I can, however, refer you to some excellent copy editors if you email me.
Book Editing Process
Here's my process for planning book editing projects:
2. (Optional) You can email me ten pages for a free mini consultation consisting of marginalia and a brief critique.
3. (Optional) You can book a call with me to chat more about your book and what you're looking for.
4. If you're interested in moving forward after your mini consultation, I'll email you a project proposal. The proposal will include the schedule, deliverables*, rates, and contract terms. This effectively functions as a contract.
* Book editing clients receive a comprehensive editorial letter of 10-12 pages, detailed marginalia, and a 60-minute conversation by phone, video conference, or in-person meeting. Rates vary depending on manuscript length and timeline.
5. At this point, we might sign the contract as is, or discuss some new terms and sign a revised contract.
6. Once we sign the agreement, I'll invoice you and you'll pay a deposit (a percentage of the rate) to schedule work with me.
7. When the deposit is paid, I'll schedule your project!
8. You'll send me your manuscript so I can begin editing on schedule.
More About How I Work
- I can do in-person consultations in New York City. Otherwise, we can talk over video chat or phone.
- I am an independent contractor. When you hire me, you are entering into contract with my company, Brittany Goss, LLC.
- I use QuickBooks to invoice clients. You can pay me online using ACH transfer or credit card, and I'll absorb the fees.